• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Acute sinking of upper eye socket - what causes this?! (Photos)

eye socket sunken

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Occasionally this happens to me.  Most of the time it doesn't.  Today it was sudden and extreme, and really took me aback.  Any idea what causes this? 

What happens is the upper inner part of my eye socket seems to suck in, causing a triangular shape above the eyelid instead of the eyelid going across in a smooth curve.  I really don't like it!  It ages me and I would love to know how to prevent it.  Thanks for any insights!  

It's the eye pictured on the left.  The right one has it too, but not as much; that eye looks closer to how it should look.

eyeproblem_zps7692636d.jpg

eyeproblem2_zps1c300f81.jpg

#2 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

my guess is age related bone loss in the lower orbital rim is causing the eye to descend, creating a vacuum in the upper medial part of the eye. Having experimented with fillers, I can say that that area is impossible to fill.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 StephCThomp

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

Hmm, that's cheer-inducing.

What's most interesting is that this can happen to me quite suddenly - an acute, temporary effect.  I most often notice it after going out to a 'do' late at night.  But the other day it was the middle of the day at home and the worst I'd seen it.  It sucked right in.

Dehydration was my first thought, but that really did not seem to be the issue.  What else is this 'symptom' a feature of?

• Disagree x 1

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

I don't think that's it.  She's too young for that, and there's no evidence of a change in the position of the eye.  I don't know what's causing it; I've not seen it before.  The bony area just below the eyebrow is the supraorbital region.  It has a passageway for a nerve and blood vessel which variously takes the form of a hole in the bone (a "foramen") or a notch.  It looks like she has a notch, perhaps larger than normal?  Along with the pieces of anatomy that pass through it, I'd expect there to be some other soft tissue, fat, and there might be some musculature in the area.  Since it only happens occasionally, it might be related to hydration status or congestion.  There are plastic surgeons that specialize in the area around the eye, and could certainly explain whatever corrective options exist.   It might be possible to figure out what sorts of activities or states cause it to occur, then avoid them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users