• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

AI soars past the turing test

chatgpt turing test

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,287 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 05:19 PM

Head of Goldman Sach's research is wondering if the 1 trillion investment in AI is worth it. Currently, I would have to agree. Current top-of-the-line AI could replace search functions online, can create great video and audio, allow people to plagiarize and cheat on tests, translate languages, can help quite a bit with coding, help governments propagandize their populations, but what else?

However, with the exponential increase in capability, more killer-apps could arrive very soon.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#122 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,287 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 05:29 PM

Sam Altman says a golden age is upon us due to AI (and ChatGPT). Of course, he doesn't provide any concrete timeline for when AI will solve all of physics or "climate change". Good luck with predicting the climate, considering it is a non-linear chaotic system.

AI has certainly flown waaaaay by the classic Turing test, but I will admit, I thought (and predicted earlier in this thread) that we would have seen much more progress by this time in 2024. At this time, there seems to be a suspicious lack of AI acceleration. Are the current crop of AI systems just not as complex and intelligent as promoted? Are computing resources and energy requirements holding things back? Is human intelligence "special" (maybe quantum) and not replicable with silicon?

Edited by Mind, 24 September 2024 - 05:30 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chatgpt, turing test

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users