Can memories and training be inherited?

generational memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adamh

• 1,091 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:36 PM

https://www.theguard...-your-ancestors

This article claims that they trained mice to be aversive toward a food they normally like and that this training carried down two generations and the grandkids had the same aversion without learning it. I find it hard to believe.

The study made use of mice’s love of cherries. Typically, when a waft of sweet cherry scent reaches a mouse’s nose, a signal is sent to the nucleus accumbens, causing this pleasure zone to light up and motivate the mouse to scurry around in search of the treat. The scientists exposed a group of mice first to a cherry-like smell and then immediately to a mild electric shock. The mice quickly learned to freeze in anticipation every time they smelled cherries. They had pups, and their pups were left to lead happy lives without electric shocks, though with no access to cherries. The pups grew up and had offspring of their own.

At this point, the scientists took up the experiment again. Could the acquired association of a shock with the sweet smell possibly have been transmitted to the third generation? It had. The grandpups were highly fearful of and more sensitive to the smell of cherries. How had this happened? The team discovered that the DNA in the grandfather mouse’s sperm had changed shape. This in turn changed the way the neuronal circuit was laid down in his pups and their pups, rerouting some nerve cells from the nose away from the pleasure and reward circuits and connecting them to the amygdala, which is involved in fear. The gene for this olfactory receptor had been demethylated (chemically tagged), so that the circuits for detecting it were enhanced. Through a combination of these changes, the traumatic memories cascaded across generations to ensure the pups would acquire the hard-won wisdom that cherries might smell delicious, but were bad news.

The study’s authors wanted to rule out the possibility that learning by imitation might have played a part. So they took some of the mice’s descendants and fostered them out. They also took the sperm from the original traumatised mice, used IVF to conceive more pups and raised them away from their biological parents. The fostered pups and those that had been conceived via IVF still had increased sensitivity and different neural circuitry for the perception of that particular scent. Just to clinch things, pups of mice that had not experienced the traumatic linking of cherries with shocks did not show these changes even if they were fostered by parents who had.

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,526 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 02:30 PM

Pretty fascinating subject. I do also find it hard to believe, but I've sort of seen the traumas of war get inherited to generations. But is it actually there in the DNA at this point, damn I don't know.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,489 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 10:21 PM

Pretty fascinating subject. I do also find it hard to believe, but I've sort of seen the traumas of war get inherited to generations. But is it actually there in the DNA at this point, damn I don't know.

I'm convinced of an epigenetic component to PTSD. By definition, epigenetics are long-lasting (and sometimes heritable) changes in biology not linked to direct DNA modification.

A review of epigenetic contributions to post-traumatic stress disorder - PMC

data suggest that the risk for PTSD in the aftermath of trauma also has a heritable (genetic) component.

gr1.jpg

Epigenetics likely plays a role in intergenerational addiction, too.

Mechanisms of transgenerational inheritance of addictive-like behaviors - PMC

nihms-512651-f0002.jpg

• like x 1

#4 Galaxyshock

• 1,526 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 12:47 PM

Interesting findings Gamesguru.

I may have some alcoholism or tranquilizer addict gene now that I think about it, but who in my bloodline started it all well go figure hehe.

So it's like first taste of alcohol and the epigenetics are triggered: "install addiction" or something? I'm feeling a bit tired at the moment but I'll take closer look into this.

• Cheerful x 1

#5 gamesguru

• 3,489 posts

Posted 08 August 2024 - 02:52 AM

It doesn't look like the inheritance is specific to that drug; in theory, it predisposes you to "drugs of abuse" generally.  So, whichever drug you find conveniently and reinforcingly from a young age is likely to become your drug of choice and first love.  Being addicted to one drug, particularly during adolescence, also predisposes you to later addiction to other drugs of abuse (see below studies).  It could be a similar mechanism to familial/inherited epigenetics.  I'll try to find some research about classes of drugs, i.e., GABAergics, and whether it's easier to get addicted to drugs of the same class.  The adolescent brain is particularly susceptible, as are ADHD patients and those affected by impulse control disorders, i.e., Parkinson's patients on dopamine agonists.  All this leads me to believe dopamine-related genes are one of the mediators of transmission and vulnerability.

Prior Exposure to THC Increases the Addictive Effects of Nicotine in Rats | Neuropsychopharmacology

Adolescent Cannabis Exposure Alters Opiate Intake and Opioid Limbic Neuronal Populations in Adult Rats | Neuropsychopharmacology

Chronic THC during adolescence increases the vulnerability to stress-induced relapse to heroin seeking in adult rats - ScienceDirect

Edited by gamesguru, 08 August 2024 - 02:54 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 02:18 PM

I'm convinced of an epigenetic component to PTSD. By definition, epigenetics are long-lasting (and sometimes heritable) changes in biology not linked to direct DNA modification.

If memory/learning is passed down from one generation to the next this is how it happens and it seems likely that this would be an evolutionary benefit in many situatuations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users