- - - - -

Does Lipoic Acid Damage The Kidneys? two studies say so

lipoic acid

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 elc202

• 85 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 09:21 AM

I know plenty of people who supplement with Alpha Lipoic Acid. Mostly for MS.

These two studies suggest that it does cause kidney damage.

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/34662650/

https://www.scienced...468024924014918

Can someone comment on this?

• unsure x 1

#2 pamojja

• 2,848 posts

Posted 30 June 2024 - 09:38 AM

When I started to supplement comprehensively against a walking-disability from PAD 15 years ago, my BUN/Creatinine ratio was for the first 3 years consistently above normal, an online calculator predicted CKD stage 1.

Since then no more, Just had my lowest BUN ever at 14 mg/dl. In average, I supplemented 400 mg/d ALA. But went up to about 700 mg/d the last 3 years.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 elc202

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 AM

When I started to supplement comprehensively against a walking-disability from PAD 15 years ago, my BUN/Creatinine ratio was for the first 3 years consistently above normal, an online calculator predicted CKD stage 1.

Since then no more, Just had my lowest BUN ever at 14 mg/dl. In average, I supplemented 400 mg/d ALA. But went up to about 700 mg/d the last 3 years.

That's good to hear,

Do you take the regular ALA or Na-RALA? Do you take Biotin or Thiamine with it?

Many thanks for your answer,

#4 hydrus

• 107 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Lipoic acid may cause kidney damage by having an affinity for some heavy metals due to being a possible chelating agent. Kidney injury can sometimes be seen during chelation therapy.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#5 pamojja

• 2,848 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Do you take the regular ALA or Na-RALA? Do you take Biotin or Thiamine with it?

ALA only. I take most plant-extracts, amino-acids, minerals (with the exception of iron and copper), fat- and solubles vitamins and conditionally essential nutrients with it. Story of my supplementation and remissions retold here: https://www.longecit...nal-remissions/

• like x 1

#6 hydrus

• 107 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:06 PM

ALA only. I take most plant-extracts, amino-acids, minerals (with the exception of iron and copper), fat- and solubles vitamins and conditionally essential nutrients with it. Story of my supplementation and remissions retold here: https://www.longecit...nal-remissions/

Interesting recovery story. May I ask you in which order symptoms/health issues developed and went away and if you have been able to recover completely?

Edited by hydrus, Yesterday, 05:07 PM.

#7 pamojja

• 2,848 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:46 PM

Seasonal rhinitis still persists. The order of development of health issues is documented there (where it is clear: I still have no idea when I had a silent stroke), including medical history in the past. PAD's walking disability ceased after 7 years. COPDs symptoms after 1 year, PEMs after 10 years only.

• Disagree x 1

#8 hydrus

• 107 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

you mean your symptoms went away after 1,7 and 10 years and only seasonal rhinitis remains? 

#9 pamojja

• 2,848 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 PM

Exactly the debilitating symptoms of my main conditions ceased in 2012, 2016 and 2019.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 hydrus

• 107 posts

Posted Today, 08:10 AM

did you take anything specifically for your PEMs? How many years did you have them before you started treating them?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lipoic acid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users