• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Polio vaccine booster more effective than COVID vaccine (if you had Oral Polio Vaccine as a child).

coronavirus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smithx

• 1,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2024 - 02:34 AM

https://www.ncbi.nlm...es/PMC10974902/

Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine Booster Reduces the Likelihood of COVID-19 Outcomes in Individuals Primed with Oral Poliovirus Vaccination

Introduction: Prior research explores whether seasonal and childhood vaccines mitigate the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Although there are trials investigating COVID-19 infection in response to the effects of the oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV), there has been no prior research assessing COVID-19 outcomes in recently immunized adults with the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV). Methods: SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 symptoms were analyzed across a cohort of 282 adults who received an IPV booster. Bivariate and multivariate regression models explored associations among variables related to vaccination histories and COVID-19 outcomes. Results: One year post-IPV inoculation, participants who had never received OPV were more likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2 and experience COVID-19 symptoms, compared to those who had previously received OPV (OR = 3.92, 95%CI 2.22–7.03, p < 0.001; OR = 4.45, 95%CI 2.48–8.17, p < 0.001, respectively). Those who had never received OPV experienced COVID-19 symptoms for 6.17 days longer than participants who had previously received OPV (95%CI 3.68–8.67, p < 0.001). Multivariate regression modeling indicated COVID-19 vaccination did not impact SARS-CoV-2 infection or COVID-19 symptoms in this sample of adults who had recently received IPV. Discussion: Findings suggest IPV may boost mucosal immunity among OPV-primed individuals, and COVID-19 vaccination may not provide additional protection among those who had received IPV. Future, larger-scale studies should measure the extent of protective effects against COVID-19 to inform public health policies in resource-deficient settings.

Edited by smithx, 06 August 2024 - 02:35 AM.

• Informative x 2

#2 smithx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 06 August 2024 - 05:36 AM

Over the course of the year, Covid vaccine was 25% protective against infection, but IPV booster was 75% effective at preventing it.

#3 joesixpack

• 496 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2024 - 07:45 PM

Over the course of the year, Covid vaccine was 25% protective against infection, but IPV booster was 75% effective at preventing it.

Well, I did not see that coming.

#4 joesixpack

• 496 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2024 - 08:53 PM

Well, I did not see that coming.

Who remembers which vaccine they had when they were 5 or 6 years old? I am over 70. I think I might had both in different years. I remember getting it 3 or 4 times in grade school. They stopped giving the oral version in 2000, don't know why.

#5 smithx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 09 August 2024 - 07:40 AM

Who remembers which vaccine they had when they were 5 or 6 years old? I am over 70. I think I might had both in different years. I remember getting it 3 or 4 times in grade school. They stopped giving the oral version in 2000, don't know why.

It's no mystery. Before 2000 there was only OPV. So if you were born before 1995 or so, you definitely got the oral vaccine.

#6 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 09 August 2024 - 02:49 PM

I definitely remember getting the sugar cube with a pink liquid in it in the first grade. Apparently this would have been my third dose. I don't remember the other two.

#7 smithx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 11 August 2024 - 05:54 AM

I got the IPV vaccine yesterday at Walgreens. Just scheduled it online through their website, no questions asked, cost was $0 because insurance just covered it with no questions.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coronavirus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users