Photo
- - - - -

Astaxanthin

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

"For instance, the astaxanthin content of salmon flesh ranges from 3 to 37 mg/kg [42,43]; therefore, a 200-g serving of salmon provides approximately 1 to 7 mg astaxanthin. Wild salmon contains the 3S, 3S' form of astaxanthin almost exclusively. The 3R, 3R' form is found rarely in nature but does exist in some crustaceans such as in Krill. In healthy humans, 6 mg astaxanthin from H. pluvialis algal extract can be safely consumed [44]."

I don't see any harm in taking 6mg twice daily at this point - it's like eating Salmon twice a day.

Good information there

#32 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

daouda, are you one of the "natural is harmless and its good" type of guys ? your comment on how so many natural substances fuck up with your 5AR (some quite strong) yet you post this "Pharmaceutical substances designed to be pure 5ARi on the other hand, should be avoided" and claim BUT ITS OK IF NATURAL. are you logical here or what ?
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

daouda, are you one of the "natural is harmless and its good" type of guys ? your comment on how so many natural substances fuck up with your 5AR (some quite strong) yet you post this "Pharmaceutical substances designed to be pure 5ARi on the other hand, should be avoided" and claim BUT ITS OK IF NATURAL. are you logical here or what ?

You're failing to comprehend the concept of potency. Finasteride is a very potent 5ARi. That means a tiny amount of it will provide a lot of inhibition. Most natural products that are 5ARi's are very weak inhibitors.
  • like x 5
  • dislike x 1

#34 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

ah ok. "weak inhibitors" which basically means not clinically significant. yet, some of those WORTHLESS WEAK INHIBITORS are actually sold as dietery supplements and WOW WEIRD, seem to show results !
i guess, weak or potent inhibitor, you FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE IN BETWEEN.

my conclusions, weak or potent, there is constant flux of natural inhibitors of 5 alpha reductase out there and, since people cannot really measure the dose in between clinically significant enough and potent to weak and useless, i suggest you be weary of what you take.

niner, learn basic logic, add 1 weak 5AR inhibitor to another weak one day to day basis constantly consuming, overtime build up, is it INSIGNIFICANT THEN ;)

Edited by dear mrclock, 18 December 2012 - 08:39 AM.

• dislike x 5

#35 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

[to niner] i guess, weak or potent inhibitor, you FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE IN BETWEEN.
(..)since people cannot really measure the dose in between clinically significant enough and potent to weak and useless, i suggest you be weary of what you take. (..)
add 1 weak 5AR inhibitor to another weak one day to day basis constantly consuming, overtime build up, is it INSIGNIFICANT THEN ;)

Dear mrclock, do you know how to read?? Or are you just "trolling" ppl here? This is what has actually been posted on the previous page :

Astaxanthin has 5 alpha reductase inhibitions properties, I wouldnt take it at very high doses for this reason alone (36-40mg is WAY too high)

mega-dosing a supplement that isnt THAT well researched is never wise.

Enzyme inhibition isn't a black and white, on/off kind of thing. There are degrees of inhibition.

The negative effect of 5ARi on libido probably only occur at higher doses or with more potent substances such as finasteride. One should probably be careful not stacking to many anti-androgenic substances at too high of a dose.

It is true that many substances "good for you" have anti-androgenic properties
5ARi : reishi, fish oil, alpha linoleic acid, coconut oil, curcumin, astaxanthin, lycopene, zinc, of course all vegetable substances containing beta sitosterols...
Anti-androgenic by other means : green tea EGcG (occupies the androgen receptor with no androgenic properties) , astragalus, milk thistle (phytoestrogen and alters hepatic metabolism of T)
Those are just off the top of my head but there are many more.

niner, learn basic logic,

WTF. Please try not to derail this thread further with worthless, childish "arguments".

Edited by daouda, 18 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#36 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

"For instance, the astaxanthin content of salmon flesh ranges from 3 to 37 mg/kg [42,43]; therefore, a 200-g serving of salmon provides approximately 1 to 7 mg astaxanthin. Wild salmon contains the 3S, 3S' form of astaxanthin almost exclusively. The 3R, 3R' form is found rarely in nature but does exist in some crustaceans such as in Krill. In healthy humans, 6 mg astaxanthin from H. pluvialis algal extract can be safely consumed [44]."

I don't see any harm in taking 6mg twice daily at this point - it's like eating Salmon twice a day.

Good information there

Odd, I just checked this thread at random, and noticed I started it... several years ago.

Anyway, I forget the exact numbers, but I think most types of salmon has about 1-2mg/serving. So 12mg daily may be rather high.

In theory, I guess some people do eat that much salmon daily, but I am not sure if any populations do, daily, on a longterm basis. 1-2mg/daily would seem safer to me, or 4mg at a max. Then again, I tend to be conservative. The carotenoids-cancer studies scared me off from using this longterm (yeah, no direct correlation to astaxanthin, but still...)

I didn't notice any benefits from it at all back when I tried it -- could have been too low a dose, or for too short a time ... who knows.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users