- - - - -

Piracetam makes me sleepy

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 quazi

• 25 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 04:11 PM

Hay!

I am taking Piracetam for a few days 800 mg two times daily. I become very sleepy so I don`t know if this is normal. [:o] Should I stop taking it or not.
What do you think.
I have low blood pressure - I always had.
Is there any other things I could start taking with piracetam to fell less sleeply?

• Lurker

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:57 PM

I've felt this as well, it's quite common, you can usually remedy this problem with continued use or an adjustment of dosage.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ejdavis1

• 92 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:09 PM

Are you taking any acetylcholine precursors? (Lecithin, Centrophenoxine, CDP Choline, Alpha GPC, etc.) The -racetam substances use this up faster.

#4 quazi

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:27 PM

Hay Ejdavis 1, nice to hear you again!

Not yet. I ordered Alpha GPC from Mike but didn`t get yet, so I still waiting for it.
Now I am using just Piracetam 2x 800 mg and Hydergine 4.5 mg.

• Lurker

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:49 PM

Sorry quazi, I had assumed you were taking a choline precursor/supplement as well. I would suggest taking some with Piracetam, before doing anything else. Your dosage of Piracetam seems adequate, possibly even a bit low.

I understand how being sleeping gets in the way of studying, I've dealt with the problem myself quite a few times.

#6 quazi

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

Ok thank you Cosmos. I didn`t know that is so importened to use Alpha CDP with Piracetam. I hope it will be better then.

#7 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:44 AM

Yes you need a choline supplement with racetam use!!! [thumb]

#8 dalessm

• 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for posting this side effect!! I also believe piracetam is making me sleepy. I'm taking 800 mg 2/day, with a choline precursor (Choline CDP /400-600 mg).

Is anyone experiencing this with the other "racetams"?

#9 nalpak

• 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:20 PM

anyone know how much for how much ?

#10 goedikey

• 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

Piracetam made me soo sleepy I almost had to crawl in a hiden place at the office to sleep.
Seriously, its pathetic how sleepy I get too. I have a goopd source of choline throught Lecithin and desnt help !

Aniracetam doesn't seem to have this effect as I feel stimulated at times. Much better experience all round IMO.

#11 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, I sup with choline and eat lots naturally in diet and pir. gives me fairly inconsistent effects. Sometimes it's like a soporific, other times I feel like I got ADD, and sometimes I'm just a bit wired. I dunno how to remedy the erractic reactions. I'm only on pir and choline right now. Got hydergine and vincopedine on the way, but I think I'm gonna switch to a more powerful racetam.

#12 weylspinor

• 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

Try 4.5 mg of Hydergine and 2400 mg of Piracetam. I wiegh about 200 lbs, and I find this a very good combination, which doesn not put me to sleep.

To prevent sleeping while studying, after 8 years of grad school, I find that 1/2 can of Red Bull in the morning with breakfast is very effective. You don't need any other caffiene the rest of the day. (It also seems to be a good source of Vitamin B's)

#13 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

I've been on Piracetam (3200 mg) for a week, and got the same sleepyness. I'm cutting off it for now, since I cant afford to be sleepy for much longer.

By the way, nothing beats fatigue like stimulants (caffiene or ephedrine). Creatine will also help with brain (and muscle) fatigue, but only slightly.

#14 goedikey

• 27 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

Again, dont forget that Aniracetam/lecithin does not make me sleepy.

So you might simply want to switch instead of buying other chemicals to counterbalance the sleepiness that comes with Piracetam.

#15 oilfieldpilot

• 67 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:18 PM

Quazi:
""I ordered Alpha GPC from Mike ""

Details please? or pm ...

right now I buy 300mg/60caps for $20.39 -good quality (works for me, I know)

A-gpc is essential for piracetam and galantamine++, I have found for me. That and 200mg L-theanine has knocked the edge off a 30+ yr insomnia problem also.

pri: 3200mg
gpc:600-900mg
gal++:2-3x day
vinpo:30-40mg
borage/flax/c/a/b5-6/folic

#16 gcurrie

• 86 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

Quazi:
""I ordered Alpha GPC from Mike ""

Details please? or pm ...

Quazi probably meant Bulk Nutrition A-GPC:
http://www.1fast400....roducts_id=1527

#17 oilfieldpilot

• 67 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

ok, thanks!
BN only sells bulk though, not caps, right?
I think UN is the only one who sells bulk caps too...???

#18 magnanyme

• 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:51 PM

Sorry for bad english; Piracetam made me also feel very sleepy at the beginning but it seems to be normal while your brain "ajust" to it. Just lower the dose to about 1g/day and let time do the work; after a week you'll be able to increase amount without feeling sleepy anymore. In my mind it takes a full month for piracetam to make it's way to destination... but it's worth it.

#19 bacchus26

• 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

Try 4.5 mg of Hydergine and 2400 mg of Piracetam. I wiegh about 200 lbs, and I find this a very good combination, which doesn not put me to sleep.

Umm... I believe the initiator of this thread stated that he has low blood pressure to begin with. In that case he should be EXTREMELY careful while taking hydergine. Take it from me. There's another thread on here I started about how taking 4.5mg hydergine daily dropped my BP so low that I should have been in a coma. For those of us that tend to have low BP to begin with gingko biloba might be a better choice.
  • Good Point x 1

#20 silverneedle

• 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hay!

I am taking Piracetam for a few days 800 mg two times daily. I become very sleepy so I don`t know if this is normal. [:o] Should I stop taking it or not.
What do you think.
I have low blood pressure - I always had.
Is there any other things I could start taking with piracetam to fell less sleeply?

The day before yesterday i took one 400mg piracetam tablet in the morning and got very sleepy all day. Today i took 1/2 teaspoon (1440mg) piracetam powder from 1fast400 brand in two equal doses morning and lunch time and didnt get any sleepiness. I am wondering if perhaps the tablets having sunset yellow in its ingredients made the difference????
I think its very possible as it is known to case a host of alergic symptoms. Check your ingredients sleepy people and let us know.
Another possibility is if the powder is not what it says it is i have no way of checking.
I tidied alot of the house today which is most unusual for me, maybe more motivation showing already but placebo also very likely.

#21 recitative

• 33 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:34 AM

There was an interesting thread recently that linked piracetam grogginess to a deficiency in the hormone aldosterone

www.imminst.org/forum/Piracetam-non-responders-t34864.html

#22 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

There was an interesting thread recently that linked piracetam grogginess to a deficiency in the hormone aldosterone

You beat me to it. Everyone who is experiencing inconsistent results with piracetam should check that out.

The OP for "is the sky more beautiful these days," Rollo, for example, passed the "pupil reflex test" (described in above thread) and it sounds like he's doing well on piracetam.

There are a great number of reasons why people may be aldosterone deficient, but they are addressable given time.

Positive responders: we would all appreciate your participation as well.

Edited by acantelopepope, 26 November 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#23 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:39 AM

You beat me to it. Everyone who is experiencing inconsistent results with piracetam should check that out.

The OP for "is the sky more beautiful these days," Rollo, for example, passed the "pupil reflex test" (described in above thread) and it sounds like he's doing well on piracetam.

There are a great number of reasons why people may be aldosterone deficient, but they are addressable given time.

Positive responders: we would all appreciate your participation as well.

So basicallt shine a light from the side towards your eyes in the dark and then check them out in the mirror?

#24 donkey

• 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

I wanted to participate here. I'll definitely be checking out the hormone thread as well. I started out with a 4.2 gram "attack dose" with 1000 mgs of Alpha GPC, and it may as well have been Valium with a Frying Pan To The Head chaser. I was out for three hours, sleeping like a rock. I'm also interested in the other poster who didn't respond well to Piracetam but found success with Aniracetam. I was hoping I could try something else. I'm also currently taking 1200 mgs of Adrafinil a day. (and amazingly, still completely lacking in energy, focus or stamina).

#25 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

I had the exact same reaction when I first tried piracetam on the initial "attack dosage" but then I just kept on dosing and then it went away and I got a lot of benefits. I'll report again soon on piracetam, as I have been out for storage in about 2 months now. So I might as well have the initial tired phase once again. I'll report back :-D

#26 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

Deeper into the depths of sleep goes the traveller,
to discover what may be found in the underworld.

Aniracetam made a dream of the awake which I could not take,
but I never gave it a long shake.

Maybe those who get sleepy actually need the sleep?

Maybe because they haven't been waking right - or sleeping right,
maybe to be immersed into that depth is the start of deep healing?

Like a cleaner, submersing me into the ocean of regeneration,
it was always calling but I stopped halfway?

If I must be submersed into that eternity for a time,
it might undo the crime
that I have perpetrated upon myself over time.

And someday soon awake to a new self,
something more than I could find on a shelf?

Emerging from the aniracetam slide
with eyes now opened wide,
bubbling up from the depth of a pram tram,
was it a scam or a grand slam?

Later days after the dosing haze
dreams were clearer and thought was nearer,
never brighter or clearer...

Edited by Isochroma, 29 November 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#27 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

Depth Charge: Dive into Your Ocean

The radical hypothesis is about depth, sleep and awakeness.

Sleep is the regen cycle for brain and body. Sleepiness is the sign that the brain needs regen.

How much regen it needs depends on lots of things, and how well sleep works to regen depends too on a lot of things.

The idea is that for those who get sleepy, piracetam is doing a perfect job. The racetams cause the brain to deepen itself. The enhanced sharpness of vision, colour saturation, higher functioning in both daytime and sleep. All these things are end results of a process of deepening.

When I say deepening I mean something very different from what stimulants do, which is overcrank the speed machinery to yield temporary gains at the expense of lots of things over time, including depth. Depth is the magic, the density of neurofunctionality, which shows up in complex thought, memory, visualization, and all those other deep things that people who want to be smart desire.

There's an inherent polarity between depth and speed. They're exchangeable, with the sum total or multiplicative total of both being the innate total capacity of an individual person. The racetams do a nice trick by making the brain open into new depth, but for those who have compromised speed, they will notice a temporary or even permanent decrease in wakefulness.

The crash and tiredness after stimulants, and ultimately the need for more sleep - which itself is less productive due to wearout of metabolic and other machinery.

By forcing the brain to increase its depth due to increased receptor availability and saturation, the racetams create an enhanced requirement - not just for choline and oxygen, but for something else crucial to the functioning of all that shiny new complexity and depth - sleep! Better sleep and more REM are needed, and most subjects experience these on piracetam. That's because the racetams are both the cause and the cure, all wrapped into one molecule. But even that has its limits.

Sleep is the maintenance cycle of depth. Depth is burned during the day even under normal conditions. Very powerful stimulants like amphetamines are so effective at depth-burning that they can create total psychosis with high doses or prolonged use. Insanity is the ultimate reaction to completely unnatural depth->speed/wakefulness exchange.

It's all really about fundamental priorities that evolution wired into the organism since very long ago. It had to choose between two conflicting things, speed/wake and depth maintenance. With a combined limit, an optimal balance would have to be found. Today, how each individual decides the balance is both predetermined by genetics and consciously decided by habits of living. The soft limit is conscious choice and the hard limit is genetics.

When I haven't had enough sleep, my vision shifts back toward lower colour saturation, less sharpness, and lower brightness dynamic range. Thoughts too come not only slower, but are more trivial. Higher level function is degraded, until more sleep is obtained.

Now to address those who get tired from piracetam or another racetam. The racetams create a demand for sleep because they activate depth. Depth has a high price upfront, and a long but slow payoff that is greater than the sum of its contributions over time :-D Almost the opposite of stimulants, which have a low price upfront and a long but slow degradation that is greater than the sum of its withdrawals over time :)

Stimulants burn depth to yield temporary wakefulness and speed. Long-term use causes a loss in not only depth but ability to regen during sleep, both by direct disruption of the sleep cycle, and deprivation of supporting factors which allow recovery to proceed.

Genetics plays a large role too.

If the brain has a permanent depth limit either due to genetics, chronic lack of sleep, or degradation of supporting systems (adrenals, etc.), then piracetam will create unfulfillable demand for regen, which will result in regen spillover into waking hours (sleepiness!). If piracetam doesn't reach an individual's saturation limit - the most their brain system can deepen, then another racetam might get closer or even go beyond either their temporarily regenerable limit (adaptability priority exchange limit) or their genetic total limit. In both cases daytime sleepiness is the result, but in the first case it can be overcome with time, while in the second it can never be overcome :)

I want to pursue my saturation limit until I cannot go any further and become sleepy or unawake during the day, and it doesn't remedy in at least a month. That's the timelimit I figure, for the adaptive regen limit.

When I say unfulfillable, I don't necessarily mean permanently unfulfillable. The brain+support system can 'catch up'. That takes time, and depends on the ability of primary and secondary systems to restructure and provide the needed factors.

To offer a bit of evidence for catch-up, I have a PM record with another forum user who also experienced sleepiness. After I encouraged him to continue (dose moderation helps close the unfulfillability gap by lowering the daily restructuration demand gap) - after several weeks his sleepiness ended :)

None of these ideas predicts how any one individual responds, but it could be useful.

For example, in my case aniracetam - which is more powerful than piracetam - stimulates the intensification of depth via physical restructuring that requires even more sleep than I currently get.

So if I take it, I feel not quite but almost sleepy. So it will take time, and careful sleep hours, and after that my brain will have finished its new works, and I'll return to regular sleep and bright, shiny wakefulness.

This idea also explains why, after taking those stronger racetams, I felt in the days afterwards like I was floating up from the depths, with deeper thoughts and greater awareness. It was waking up to something more than before.

Admittedly, I took large doses of aniracetam, pramiracetam, and oxiracetam. I did so on this hunch, that they would produce maximal depth with a large debt which would be payable in sleepiness to start with. And it worked out exactly like that.

Edited by Isochroma, 29 November 2009 - 10:27 PM.

#28 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

Awesome poem! Hahaha. Well done Isochroma. You keep surprising me!

Deeper into the depths of sleep goes the traveller,
to discover what may be found in the underworld.

Aniracetam made a dream of the awake which I could not take,
but I never gave it a long shake.

Maybe those who get sleepy actually need the sleep?

Maybe because they haven't been waking right - or sleeping right,
maybe to be immersed into that depth is the start of deep healing?

Like a cleaner, submersing me into the ocean of regeneration,
it was always calling but I stopped halfway?

If I must be submersed into that eternity for a time,
it might undo the crime
that I have perpetrated upon myself over time.

And someday soon awake to a new self,
something more than I could find on a shelf?

Emerging from the aniracetam slide
with eyes now opened wide,
bubbling up from the depth of a pram tram,
was it a scam or a grand slam?

Later days after the dosing haze
dreams were clearer and thought was nearer,
never brighter or clearer...

#29 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

I wrote it only moments after waking up from a nightful of beautiful, amazingly detailed piracetam dreams :-D

Last night was the most amazing in years. The detail and continuity of the final dreams last night just blew everything 'till now outta da water. I played with technology that doesn't yet exist in this world - I rode the eternal line and it was just fine :)

The highly detailed and perfectly real - not realistic but real items, views and dynamicisms in current dreams are renovating that mode of awareness from triviality to platform reality.

Day after day it shows the way
night after night it becomes the shining light.

I blame these welcomed eternities on restricting other fats in my diet over the last few days so that concentrated fishoil is making up 75% of total fat consumption - 20 grams per day.

Today I order more kilos of piracetam and buy more fishoil on sale - is it still on sale? I hope, I dream, and sometimes I scream.

Edited by Isochroma, 30 November 2009 - 08:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

Depth Charge: Dive into Your Ocean

The radical hypothesis is about depth, sleep and awakeness.

Sleep is the regen cycle for brain and body. Sleepiness is the sign that the brain needs regen.

How much regen it needs depends on lots of things, and how well sleep works to regen depends too on a lot of things.

The idea is that for those who get sleepy, piracetam is doing a perfect job. The racetams cause the brain to deepen itself. The enhanced sharpness of vision, colour saturation, higher functioning in both daytime and sleep. All these things are end results of a process of deepening.

When I say deepening I mean something very different from what stimulants do, which is overcrank the speed machinery to yield temporary gains at the expense of lots of things over time, including depth. Depth is the magic, the density of neurofunctionality, which shows up in complex thought, memory, visualization, and all those other deep things that people who want to be smart desire.

There's an inherent polarity between depth and speed. They're exchangeable, with the sum total or multiplicative total of both being the innate total capacity of an individual person. The racetams do a nice trick by making the brain open into new depth, but for those who have compromised speed, they will notice a temporary or even permanent decrease in wakefulness.

The crash and tiredness after stimulants, and ultimately the need for more sleep - which itself is less productive due to wearout of metabolic and other machinery.

By forcing the brain to increase its depth due to increased receptor availability and saturation, the racetams create an enhanced requirement - not just for choline and oxygen, but for something else crucial to the functioning of all that shiny new complexity and depth - sleep! Better sleep and more REM are needed, and most subjects experience these on piracetam. That's because the racetams are both the cause and the cure, all wrapped into one molecule. But even that has its limits.

Sleep is the maintenance cycle of depth. Depth is burned during the day even under normal conditions. Very powerful stimulants like amphetamines are so effective at depth-burning that they can create total psychosis with high doses or prolonged use. Insanity is the ultimate reaction to completely unnatural depth->speed/wakefulness exchange.

It's all really about fundamental priorities that evolution wired into the organism since very long ago. It had to choose between two conflicting things, speed/wake and depth maintenance. With a combined limit, an optimal balance would have to be found. Today, how each individual decides the balance is both predetermined by genetics and consciously decided by habits of living. The soft limit is conscious choice and the hard limit is genetics.

When I haven't had enough sleep, my vision shifts back toward lower colour saturation, less sharpness, and lower brightness dynamic range. Thoughts too come not only slower, but are more trivial. Higher level function is degraded, until more sleep is obtained.

Now to address those who get tired from piracetam or another racetam. The racetams create a demand for sleep because they activate depth. Depth has a high price upfront, and a long but slow payoff that is greater than the sum of its contributions over time :-D Almost the opposite of stimulants, which have a low price upfront and a long but slow degradation that is greater than the sum of its withdrawals over time :)

Stimulants burn depth to yield temporary wakefulness and speed. Long-term use causes a loss in not only depth but ability to regen during sleep, both by direct disruption of the sleep cycle, and deprivation of supporting factors which allow recovery to proceed.

Genetics plays a large role too.

If the brain has a permanent depth limit either due to genetics, chronic lack of sleep, or degradation of supporting systems (adrenals, etc.), then piracetam will create unfulfillable demand for regen, which will result in regen spillover into waking hours (sleepiness!). If piracetam doesn't reach an individual's saturation limit - the most their brain system can deepen, then another racetam might get closer or even go beyond either their temporarily regenerable limit (adaptability priority exchange limit) or their genetic total limit. In both cases daytime sleepiness is the result, but in the first case it can be overcome with time, while in the second it can never be overcome :)

I want to pursue my saturation limit until I cannot go any further and become sleepy or unawake during the day, and it doesn't remedy in at least a month. That's the timelimit I figure, for the adaptive regen limit.

When I say unfulfillable, I don't necessarily mean permanently unfulfillable. The brain+support system can 'catch up'. That takes time, and depends on the ability of primary and secondary systems to restructure and provide the needed factors.

To offer a bit of evidence for catch-up, I have a PM record with another forum user who also experienced sleepiness. After I encouraged him to continue (dose moderation helps close the unfulfillability gap by lowering the daily restructuration demand gap) - after several weeks his sleepiness ended :)

None of these ideas predicts how any one individual responds, but it could be useful.

For example, in my case aniracetam - which is more powerful than piracetam - stimulates the intensification of depth via physical restructuring that requires even more sleep than I currently get.

So if I take it, I feel not quite but almost sleepy. So it will take time, and careful sleep hours, and after that my brain will have finished its new works, and I'll return to regular sleep and bright, shiny wakefulness.

This idea also explains why, after taking those stronger racetams, I felt in the days afterwards like I was floating up from the depths, with deeper thoughts and greater awareness. It was waking up to something more than before.

Admittedly, I took large doses of aniracetam, pramiracetam, and oxiracetam. I did so on this hunch, that they would produce maximal depth with a large debt which would be payable in sleepiness to start with. And it worked out exactly like that.

You're so full of shit that I envy your ignorance.

I'm sorry-- I like you, Isochroma. Really. And I'm glad piracetam is working for you. But it is not the panacea that you dogmatically make it out to be. Not at all.
  • dislike x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users