• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Selegiline (L-Deprenyl) for ADHD - Reviews

adhd deprenyl selegiline reviews medications attention deficit disorder mao-b maoi l-deprenyl focus

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 thedevinroy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

do you need to take a break from Selegiline? Do you treat it like a stimulant? Prolong use of it wont harm you at all? With stimulants like Ritalin, I got from you Devin that I have to becareful and cycle it off or it will shorten my life......that is the danger. What is the danger of taking Selegiline for a long time?

I

From what I understand, Selegiline will prevent Parkinson's, so it may actually lengthen life.

It did in rats anyhow: http://inhumanexperi...-extension.html

EDIT: No, I don't think you need holidays. You just need to watch for interactions.

Edited by devinthayer, 17 November 2011 - 07:04 PM.

#92 X_Danny_X

• 344 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Oh cool that I dont need to take a break from it. I just worried about serotonin toxicity. I guess if I take 2-3 times a week I dont need to worry about it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 thedevinroy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Days you take it, I would just take it apart from other stimulants or serotonergics during the day. It's half life is pretty fast...

#94 KennyBruse

• 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

I'm surprised no one has brought up the study reviews on Chemically Correct at M&M, as they kick a lot of ass. Here they are, for Deprenyl:

http://www.mindandmu...-andrew-novick/
http://www.mindandmu...-andrew-novick/

... but all of them are recommended reading.

Honestly, the most interesting thing I've taken from these articles is something that hasn't been brought up clearly yet in this thread: Low-Dose Deprenyl.

From Chemically Correct:

L-deprenyl increases levels of the enzyme L-amino acid decarboxylase, a necessary enzyme for monoamine synthesis (23). Its effect on tyrosine hydroxylase, the rate limiting factor for dopamine synthesis, is variable. 2mg/kg of l-deprenyl given 3 times a week for 2 months increases tyrosine hydroxylase expression (27). However, repeated dosages of 10mg/kg of l-deprenyl decreased tyrosine hydroxylase (28). Chronic treatment with .25mg/kg for 21 days reduced tyrosine hydroxlase activity to 60% of the control group (31). Another group of researchers showed .1mg/kg for 21 days caused reduced tyrosine hydroxylase activity at first, but activity recovered by day 14 and increased after day 21 (32). While these results seem contradictory, it does appear that low, chronic doses of l-deprenyl are more likely to increase tyrosine hydoxylase activity than higher acute doses.

23. Li XM, Juorio AV, Qi J, Boulton AA. L-deprenyl induces aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase (AADC) mRNA in the rat substantia nigra and ventral tegmentum. An in situ hybridization study. Mol Chem Neuropathol. 1998 Aug-Dec;35(1-3):149-55.
27. De la Cruz CP, Revilla E, Rodriguez-Gomez JA, Vizuete ML, Cano J, Machado A. (-)-Deprenyl treatment restores serum insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) levels in aged rats to young rat level. Eur J Pharmacol. 1997 May 30;327(2-3):215-20.
28. Fowler JS, Volkow ND, Logan J, Franceschi D, Wang GJ, MacGregor R, Shea C, Garza V, Pappas N, Carter P, Netusil N, Bridge P, Liederman D, Elkashef A, Rotrosen J, Hitzemann R. Evidence that L-deprenyl treatment for one week does not inhibit MAO A or the dopamine transporter in the human brain. Life Sci. 2001 May 4;68(24):2759-68.
31. Lamensdorf I, Finberg JP. Reduced striatal tyrosine hydroxylase activity is not accompanied by change in responsiveness of dopaminergic receptors following chronic treatment with deprenyl. Neuropharmacology. 1997 Oct;36(10):1455-61.
32. Vrana SL, Azzaro AJ, Vrana KE. Chronic selegiline administration transiently decreases tyrosine hydroxylase activity and mRNA in the rat nigrostriatal pathway. Mol Pharmacol. 1992 May;41(5):839-44.

So it's perfectly possible to trick one's body into upregulating Tyrosine Hydroxylase rather than downregulating it. My question are if this is qualitatively different from taking higher-dose deprenyl, which increases dopamine levels by other means. DevinThayer, you mentioned before that l-phenylethylamine would technically help your brain have more dopamine, but it made you silly; if it counts for how dopamine is raised, or where, then increased tyrosine hydroxylase expression could be a completely different ball game.

(You'd probably end up with something in line with aLurker's insomnia and energy catapults, but it's still moot.)

#95 thedevinroy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

This is over 30 days taking 5mg 2x/day of Selegiline. I believe my body has adapted to the drug and reached its new homeostasis as I predicted. The hyperactivity and antidepressant effects subsided mostly. Vertigo is still a bitch. There is still this odd swing between energy levels that is quite hard to predict. I've tried various supplements to take away the side effects and supplements to take away their side effects.

All in all, I haven't hit the nail on the head, and I'm becoming increasingly disappointed. I tried finding things for ADHD that would be better for me and correct the problems. The best synergy has been with green/black tea and huperzine A. The combo increases concentration, decreases hyperactivity, increases energy, and kills vertigo. Rather than tea, I'm ordering pinebark extracts, which is basically time-released catechins. Huperzine A with it's long half life, this seems like a killer 2x/day combo.

Ashwangandha + Ginkgo + Gotu Kola + Zinc seems to be best in the morning and mid-day to fight hyperactivity and vertigo. Tried it at night, but it was hard falling asleep. DL-Phenylalanine is good for a mood lift and energy, but no other ADHD symptoms. Magnesium also controls some hyperactivity, but more puts a cap on selegiline from making me too "high".

#96 adiosameobas

• 48 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

devin,
i have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow that i have serendipitously found through the organization ACAM...the American College for Advancement in Medicine. I was reading a book (albeit from 1992) called Brain Boosters: Foods and Herbs that make you Smarter. That is a good read as well as a good history lesson on the supplement industry. Anyhow, I found through this website a doctor in my area who seems progressive enough and am going to see him ( i need a PCP anyway) im pretty sure he's not right off the bat going to prescribe me to selegiline, but it is worth a shot as i have found myself becoming less and less pleased with modafinil for long term treatment of ADHD symptoms, and wellbutrin is basically doing shit for me. I was wondering if you could suggest any tips or ways that you convinced your doctor to give you the green light for the dep. For some reason i am not able to download the article in the beginning of this post. I have found one in a basic google search comparing MPH and Selegiline for adult ADHD...is this the same one? any help would be appreciated!

#97 thedevinroy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

devin,
i have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow that i have serendipitously found through the organization ACAM...the American College for Advancement in Medicine. I was reading a book (albeit from 1992) called Brain Boosters: Foods and Herbs that make you Smarter. That is a good read as well as a good history lesson on the supplement industry. Anyhow, I found through this website a doctor in my area who seems progressive enough and am going to see him ( i need a PCP anyway) im pretty sure he's not right off the bat going to prescribe me to selegiline, but it is worth a shot as i have found myself becoming less and less pleased with modafinil for long term treatment of ADHD symptoms, and wellbutrin is basically doing shit for me. I was wondering if you could suggest any tips or ways that you convinced your doctor to give you the green light for the dep. For some reason i am not able to download the article in the beginning of this post. I have found one in a basic google search comparing MPH and Selegiline for adult ADHD...is this the same one? any help would be appreciated!

Please realize that I have had very mixed results with Selegiline treatment for ADHD. Read previous posts and see if my type of ADHD applies to you. If you have mixed depression/ADHD, it might be a one hit KO for you. Otherwise, it lacks some serious ADHD remedying qualities. Some things got better, some got worse, for me, anyway. Others have found this as their magic pill. It's nothing compared to d-amphetamine salts, methylphenidate, or atomoxetine in fighting my specific ADHD symptoms. I give it a 2/10 so far. I've got an order of Huperzine A coming in, and that stuff seems to synergize well with it, making it a great combo treatment, but by itself, I was quite disappointed.

I wasn't able to show the psychiatrist anything. She wouldn't look at the stack of studies I brought for her. I'm sorry the link didn't work for you. It appears I have reached my maximum download limit. The file is actually on another computer. It was compilation of various user experiences and also studies from PubMed with keywords being "Deprenyl" or "Selegiline" and "ADHD". One experience was from ComputeThis on this forum, and the other was from the ADHD forums.

#98 adiosameobas

• 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

thanks man, i have read the thread, and i didn't mean to sound as if i was jumping right to this as the end point. i have struggled with both ADHD and depression for a while, currently/and mildly successfully treated it with (prescribed) modafinil and bupropion, i have thought since both of these are somewhat dopaminergic in there mechanisms that selegiline is at least worth a shot, hopefully i didnt come off as seeming to say i needed a script (as in playwright) it all comes down to the doctors discretion anyhow. we'll see how it goes tomorrow, if it doesn't happen. oh well, theres plenty of time. thanks though.

#99 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Did anyone ever come across information of Selegiline for ADHD-overfocused (which to me reads like a low end Asperger's which would fit me quite well)? In fact, I think I will start a thread about that one shortly...

As for the subsiding AD action - do you feel like recurring depression or did you just adjust to the new normal ™? I think the latter one might be the case with my Wellbutrin but it definitely also started failing to provide energy - maybe my coffee addiction crowded it out...

Edited by nupi, 28 November 2011 - 12:50 PM.

#100 computeTHIS

• 153 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think I have to second Devin's suggestion about taking Selegiline twice a day, since the half-life of the metabolites is so short. I began developing a subtle tolerance similar to my tolerance issues with Adderall - I began getting this "down" or semi-depressive feeling while on it, and I stuck to the 5mg/day dosing. It was late in December when I went off of it, and man, it caused some crazy headaches as it left my system. I feel great now. I do not care for any of the amphetamines, or their isomers.

Selegiline played a great role for me in "healing" after being on Adderall for 2 years, which left me feeling terrible. The efficacy I generally see for selegiline is like the role that the EMSAM patch plays with nicotine withdrawal symptoms.

I'll patiently wait until this February for Rasagiline to go generic, then I'll try that for ADHD issues.

#101 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I've rendered it invisible (unapproved); no one responded to it/

#102 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I have a kind of a related question; How long does it take until Selegiline reaches full potential? Say one would use a 10mg dose which can inhibit up to 90% of the MAO-B enzyme,,
how long (in time) does it take before it reaches that level of inhibition ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#103 Introspecta

• 622 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'd say avoid Selegine unless you plan on staying on it long term or for life. Just one month on it has left me feeling like shit for a week due to the readjustment of getting of the Med. Not worth it in my book. You also run the risk of getting addicted to PEA if you experiment with that devilish drug.
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adhd, deprenyl, selegiline, reviews, medications, attention deficit disorder, mao-b, maoi, l-deprenyl, focus

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users