* * * * - 14 votes

C60 experiments @ home

buckyball c60 fullerene buckyballs

• Please log in to reply
3585 replies to this topic

#871 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

The fact that the THF/nC60 made TNF more toxic is interesting. We know that fullerene products made in THF have their own set of toxicities that are due to THF artifacts. We've also seen reports of various problems with nC60, a nanoparticulate version. The avoidance of this was likely the point of Baati's preparation method that involved filtration and centrifugation. So this stuff is kind of doubly jinxed; it's hard to say what is the real cause of its toxicity enhancement.

TNF is an Immune System Cytokine that sometimes plays a positive role vis-a-vis pathogens. I'm not certain but that may be coincident with its becoming "cytotoxic." Does it become cytotoxic in its role of pathogen killer? Dunno. So a study showing that it is cytotoxic, per se, is consistent with its known paradoxical role.

The overview below is from a few years ago when the realization that cancer is also, in some ways, an auto-immune disease was becoming clear... TNF both fights and then promotes cancer. This paradox is what lies at the heart of diseases called "auto-immune."

' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20712570']The dual role of tumor necrosis factor (TNF) in cancer biology

Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) is a cytokine with well known anticancer properties and is being utilized as anticancer agent for the treatment of patients with locally advanced solid tumors. However, TNF role in cancer biology is debated. In fact, in spite of the wealth of evidence supporting its antitumor activity, the cascade of molecular events underlying TNF-mediated tumor regression observed in vivo is still incompletely elucidated. Furthermore, some preclinical findings suggest that TNF may even promote cancer development and progression. With this work we intend to summarize the molecular biology of TNF (with particular regard to its tumor-related activities) and review the experimental and clinical evidence currently available describing the complex and sometime apparently conflicting relationship between this cytokine, cancer biology and antitumor therapy. We also propose a model to explain the dual effect of TNF based on the exposure time and cytokine levels reached within the tumor microenvironment. Finally, we overview recent research findings that might lead to new ways for exploiting the anticancer potential of TNF in the clinical setting.

→ source (external link)

And it's that dual role that has implications for creating Oxidative Stress...

Transcriptional control of mitochondrial biogenesis and its interface with inflammatory processes
Major conclusions
Stimulation of the innate immune system by activation of toll-like receptors (TLR) generates pro-inflammatory mediators, such as tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α)and interleukin-1β (IL-1β), necessary for optimal host defense, but which also contribute to mitochondrial damage through oxidative stress and other mechanisms. To protect its energy supply, host cells sense mitochondrial damage and initiate mitochondrial biogenesis under the control of an inducible transcriptional program that also activates anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory gene expression. This multifunctional network not only increases cellular resistance to metabolic failure, oxidative stress, and cell death, but promotes immune tolerance as shown in the graphical abstract.

Edited by wccaguy, 20 June 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#872 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

An interesting computer modelling (2008) study on the fate of fullerenes in membranes:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18654548

What is interesting here is that it appears the fullerene aggregates disaggregate upon entry into the membrane ( vide supra ).

This goes hand in hand with more recent studies that show that nano-fullerene ( i.e. aggregates of fullerene) are non toxic, and the earlier studies showing toxicity are to be put aside, as the observed toxic effects were experimental artefacts.

Also, that fullerenes are basically too small to physically disrupt membrane structure.

Here is the abstract:

Recent toxicology studies suggest that nanosized aggregates of fullerene molecules can enter cells and alter their functions, and also cross the blood-brain barrier. However, the mechanisms by which fullerenes penetrate and disrupt cell membranes are still poorly understood. Here we use computer simulations to explore the translocation of fullerene clusters through a model lipid membrane and the effect of high fullerene concentrations on membrane properties. The fullerene molecules rapidly aggregate in water but disaggregate after entering the membrane interior. The permeation of a solid-like fullerene aggregate into the lipid bilayer is thermodynamically favoured and occurs on the microsecond timescale. High concentrations of fullerene induce changes in the structural and elastic properties of the lipid bilayer, but these are not large enough to mechanically damage the membrane. Our results suggest that mechanical damage is an unlikely mechanism for membrane disruption and fullerene toxicity.

I suspect the primary route to fullerene's longevity effect is membrane stability, and ros scavenging, possibly combined with anti-cancer ( through ros scavenging and other possible mechanisms) and anti viral ( through reactions with the membranes of viruses) activity, and overall anti-inflammatory activity in a wide range of organs and tissues, in addition to possible mitochondrial enhancement through ros scavenging and/or electron transport facilitation.

The following (2010) study asks some pertinent (and as of yet unanswered) questions about how fullerene interacts with membranes.

[PDF] The Effect of a Fullerene Water Suspension on the Growth, Cell Viability, and Membrane Integrity of Escherichia coli B23

[PDF] from ubc.ca
A Aquino, J Chan, K Giolma… - Journal of Experimental …, 2010 - microbiology.ubc.ca
... 30). They also did not observe any distortion of the bilayer with addition of fullerene
that Zhao et al. modeled in silico (34). ... pores. In support of this, the intramembrane

Edited by Metrodorus, 20 June 2012 - 06:15 PM.

• like x 3

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#873 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Very nice summary of your proposed C60 method of action, Metrodorus.

#874 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,247 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Another update. I haven't taken C60 in a while but the effects not only persist but continue to get better. I saw a relative that I have seen in months and she was amazed at how young I looked. I asked if there was anything in particular and she said your hair, your skin, everything. In fact, the bald spot that began to develop in my twenties is now officially gone. The hair is thinner back there than in other areas, but if this continues I will have hair like Stalin's...to steal a line from Seinfeld.

I don't know if I can preface my comment with enough qualifiers to deflect criticism or ill feelings here (ie. Turnbuckle's contributions to this thread and elsewhere are very informative and his C60 experiment could end up helping untold number of people, big kudos, etc), however, I would do this for any long term or new poster....

No before-and-after pictures...no third party confirmation...no hair growth.

Before anyone flies off the handle, I will say this, I have reported upon my usage of different supplements, exercise, diet, and skin cream (Juvess), and most people take me for my word, for which I am happy, but you should take everything I say with a grain of salt (not because I lie, but because I could be mistaken about something or have fallen prey to the placebo effect), and I wouldn't be upset if someone demanded more objective proof.

#875 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

I suspect the primary route to fullerene's longevity effect is membrane stability, and ros scavenging, possibly combined with anti-cancer ( through ros scavenging and other possible mechanisms) and anti viral ( through reactions with the membranes of viruses) activity, and overall anti-inflammatory activity in a wide range of organs and tissues, in addition to possible mitochondrial enhancement through ros scavenging and/or electron transport facilitation.

I don't see how membrane stability is a factor. We've seen various bits of evidence that C60 will happily occupy the hydrophobic part of a biological membrane without disrupting it, and some suggestion that even nC60 aggregates don't disrupt the membrane of E. coli, but what's the evidence that C60, in particular as a fatty acid adduct, would improve the stability of membranes? And how would an improved stability of membranes affect longevity? I would expect it to improve the chemical stability of membranes toward oxidative insults, but that's the ROS part that you mention as an alternative. I don't think there is enough C60 left in the body after the initial washout for an antiviral effect to be very important, but that's just my gut sense on it. I think you're right that anti-cancer and general anti-inflammatory effects could be outcomes of ROS scavenging. I wonder about electron transport facilitation, in the mode of methylene blue. Just on the basis of the ease of electron transfer to and from C60, this seems plausible, but is there any evidence of it? Does C60 have the right redox potentials for this to make sense? Sterically, it seems dodgy...

#876 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Another update. I haven't taken C60 in a while but the effects not only persist but continue to get better. I saw a relative that I have seen in months and she was amazed at how young I looked. I asked if there was anything in particular and she said your hair, your skin, everything. In fact, the bald spot that began to develop in my twenties is now officially gone. The hair is thinner back there than in other areas, but if this continues I will have hair like Stalin's...to steal a line from Seinfeld.

I don't know if I can preface my comment with enough qualifiers to deflect criticism or ill feelings here (ie. Turnbuckle's contributions to this thread and elsewhere are very informative and his C60 experiment could end up helping untold number of people, big kudos, etc), however, I would do this for any long term or new poster....

Before anyone flies off the handle, I will say this, I have reported upon my usage of different supplements, exercise, diet, and skin cream (Juvess), and most people take me for my word, for which I am happy, but you should take everything I say with a grain of salt (not because I lie, but because I could be mistaken about something or have fallen prey to the placebo effect), and I wouldn't be upset if someone demanded more objective proof.

It really doesn't matter to me if anyone believes me or not. It's not my purpose to sell anything or make any profit on this. In fact, the effect took me by surprise as I hadn't seen the paper* on hair growth in mice and human skin so I wasn't expecting anything of the sort. Nor was I expecting the initial effect of better oxygen utilization for that matter, but there it was. I would also be skeptical if someone else reported hair growth as I've used everything there is to forestall what seemed to be inevitable and none of it grew hair like the commercials. Minoxidil, finasteride, PQQ, Dr. Proctor's formula, and an anti-fungal shampoo from eastern Europe--the first three worked to some limited degree to prevent loss but none ever produced much new hair. After using C60 two months ago for ten days, I've now stopped all of them with the exception of PQQ. So far I haven't seen any fall out and the new hair is around an inch or a little longer, which means it must have started around the time of the first dose.

*Fullerene nanomaterials potentiate hair growth

We report that fullerene derivatives
accelerate the growth of hair in mice and human skin. In
addition, these molecules significantly increase the number of
hair follicles in the skin of mice genetically deficient in follicle
formation. The later finding represents a potentially new
therapeutic opportunity for conditions leading to hair loss.

#877 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think I misinterpreted this when I first read it, but I decided that what you meant is that without pictures or third party confirmation, you don't believe the hair growth story. Assuming I got that right, then yeah, hair growth is a pretty major effect. (As if near-doubled lifespan weren't enough...) I could understand a person having a hard time buying that. Just as a matter of background, a paper was posted upthread showing a considerable enhancement of hair growth in rats and ex-vivo with human skin. This was with a topical application of a fullerene compound that is structurally rather similar to the presumed fatty acid adduct. Considering that published result, hair growth in a human is at least plausible, though I would wonder if Turnbuckle has had enough of a total dose to see an effect on hair. Maybe people who aren't quite ready to try an oral dose of C60/OO would consider a topical experiment with it. If someone were to do a "split head" experiment, putting it only on one side of their head, It seems like it would be very easy to see if it was "working". In an old minoxidil study, they tattooed a small mark on the subject's scalp, then counted hairs in a 2.5 cm diameter circle centered on the mark. (Should someone want to get serious about a study...)

#878 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:00 PM

My thoughts on fullerene and possible effects on overall membrane stability developed from this study:

http://pubs.rsc.org/...006/SM/b603266d

Membrane stability of extruded large unilamellar vesicles (LUV) formed by 1-palmitoyl-2-oleoylphosphatidylcholine (POPC) containing fullerene C60 or an amphiphilic fullerene derivative, 2-[2-(2-fulleropyrrolidin-1-ylethoxy)-ethoxy]-ethanol (FPE), has been investigated by spectrofluorimetrically monitoring the spontaneous release of entrapped carboxyfluorescein (CF). Under controlled conditions of temperature, osmolarity and pH, these guests increase the stability of the liposomal membrane as shown by the decrease in the rate of outflux of CF. The stability conferred to the POPC liposomes by C60 and FPE has been compared with that conferred by the well-known stabilizing guest 1,2-dipalmitoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphoethanolamine-N-[methoxy-(polyethylene glycol)-2000] ammonium salt (PEG). The addition of amphiphilic molecules, such as non-ionic surfactants, which intercalate into the membrane bilayer, and of sucrose or NaCl, which induce a hyposmotic stress, has been extensively investigated in order to get information on how to modulate the release of entrappedCF. This information could hopefully be useful in the formulation of new drug delivery systems as well as for getting a deeper understanding of the mechanisms of the formation/enclosure of channels through the membrane. The viscosity and the micropolarity of the membrane have been measured fluorimetrically by using pyrene as the probe. An interesting increase of the gel–liquid crystal phase transition temperature has been observed for POPC liposomes hosting C60.

#879 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

After using C60 two months ago for ten days, I've now stopped all of them with the exception of PQQ. So far I haven't seen any fall out and the new hair is around an inch or a little longer, which means it must have started around the time of the first dose.

Wow, can you actually tell which hairs are the new ones by the length? You really ought to try to get a decent photo of that. This is really an exceptional result. I can understand that you wouldn't have taken a 'before' picture, not expecting this, but if you can see the different lengths, then the 'after' pic by itself would be sufficient. On the other hand, it might be better if we just kept this under the radar for a while.
  • like x 1

#880 Raphy

• 77 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yes please keep it under the radar until I get some :)

Kidding. But as a side note, does anyone know how long can fullrenes been kept before use? I thinking of making some stocks in case...

#881 Metrodorus

• 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

An effect on hair growth is not unexpected, given the prior experimental results, and various patents that have been taken out as a result.
I expect, as in all medical interventions, that some people will be responders,and others non responders.
Posted Image

#882 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'm considering trying c60/oo topically after dermaneedling of the scalp and/or the facial skin for better penetration... but then shouldnt I worry about sun exposure since the c60 have been reported in some study to be photosensitizing? If one were to apply it at night only would he be able to get sun exposure the next day without concern?

Also this study http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21137794 (Clinical evaluation of fullerene-C60 dissolved in squalane for anti-wrinkle cosmetics.) seems to indicate one should apply the c60 daily for much more than 4 weeks to be able to get any result on skin tone etc

LF-SQ cream enhanced the skin moisture and the anti-wrinkle formation. LF-SQ cream that was applied on a face twice daily was not effective at 4th week, but significantly more effective than the placebo at 8th week (p < 0.05) without severe side effects. The roughness-area ratio showed significant improvement (p < 0.05) at 8th week with LF-SQ cream as compared to 0 week with LF-SQ cream, but no significant difference was detected between LF-SQ cream and the placebo.

#883 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

does anyone know how long can fullrenes been kept before use? I thinking of making some stocks in case...

AgeVivo is using some that he got from Moussa's lab that was left over from the original experiment, and is something like five years old. As long as it's sealed and kept in the dark, it should last a long time. If you freeze it, even longer. I freeze olive oil for storage; it works great.

#884 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm considering trying c60/oo topically after dermaneedling of the scalp and/or the facial skin for better penetration... but then shouldnt I worry about sun exposure since the c60 have been reported in some study to be photosensitizing? If one were to apply it at night only would he be able to get sun exposure the next day without concern?

Also this study http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21137794 (Clinical evaluation of fullerene-C60 dissolved in squalane for anti-wrinkle cosmetics.) seems to indicate one should apply the c60 daily for much more than 4 weeks to be able to get any result on skin tone etc

LF-SQ cream enhanced the skin moisture and the anti-wrinkle formation. LF-SQ cream that was applied on a face twice daily was not effective at 4th week, but significantly more effective than the placebo at 8th week (p < 0.05) without severe side effects. The roughness-area ratio showed significant improvement (p < 0.05) at 8th week with LF-SQ cream as compared to 0 week with LF-SQ cream, but no significant difference was detected between LF-SQ cream and the placebo.

In addition to the oral dose I also applied it topically three times, using a massaging type brush to work the skin because I'd read that C60 doesn't penetrate the skin readily without mechanical action. So which is responsible, the oral dose or the topical application or both, I can't say (but most likely the oral). And if you're worried about the sun, wear a ball cap.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 20 June 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#885 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,247 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for understanding Turnbuckle. The point is to be at least relatively skeptical about any self-reported effects from various health interventions, no matter who reports them.

#886 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

After using C60 two months ago for ten days, I've now stopped all of them with the exception of PQQ. So far I haven't seen any fall out and the new hair is around an inch or a little longer, which means it must have started around the time of the first dose.

Wow, can you actually tell which hairs are the new ones by the length?

Not really. There just weren't many old ones.

#887 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Ok, my bad. I did just find this one posted in the thread. I missed it with my first search....

Not sure if this study was already posted in this thread but just thought I'd put it in here. It's actually a little older, 2011, and involves a fullerene with multiple hydroxy (OH) groups to make it more water soluble.
From the paper, the number of OH groups was 12-42 so a distribution. This was in PLoS One which is a pretty top rated journal....

PLoS One. 2011;6(5):e19976. Epub 2011 May 27.
Polyhydroxy fullerenes (fullerols or fullerenols): beneficial effects on growth and lifespan in diverse biological models.

Gao J, Wang Y, Folta KM, Krishna V, Bai W, Indeglia P, Georgieva A, Nakamura H, Koopman B, Moudgil B.

Source

Particle Engineering Research Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States of America. dencyl@ufl.edu

Abstract

Recent toxicological studies on carbon nanomaterials, including fullerenes, have led to concerns about their safety. Functionalized fullerenes, such as polyhydroxy fullerenes (PHF, fullerols, or fullerenols), have attracted particular attention due to their water solubility and toxicity. Here, we report surprisingly beneficial and/or specific effects of PHF on model organisms representing four kingdoms, including the green algae Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata, the plant Arabidopsis thaliana, the fungus Aspergillus niger, and the invertebrate Ceriodaphnia dubia. The results showed that PHF had no acute or chronic negative effects on the freshwater organisms. Conversely, PHF could surprisingly increase the algal culture density over controls at higher concentrations (i.e., 72% increase by 1 and 5 mg/L of PHF) and extend the lifespan and stimulate the reproduction of Daphnia (e.g. about 38% by 20 mg/L of PHF). We also show that at certain PHF concentrations fungal growth can be enhanced and Arabidopsis thaliana seedlings exhibit longer hypocotyls, while other complex physiological processes remain unaffected. These findings may open new research fields in the potential applications of PHF, e.g., in biofuel production and aquaculture. These results will form the basis of further research into the mechanisms of growth stimulation and life extension by PHF. PMID: 21637768

Edited by malbecman, 20 June 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#888 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Since fullerenes appear to be benecial also to fungus, could it be dangerous for those with suspected gut candida overgrowth (and/or oral thrush) to take it orally? In theory it could not only make candida "hardier" than the rest of the gut flora but also maybe render it more resistant to ergosterol targeting antifungals (nystatin, amphotericin B, azoles)... while at least protecting the liver against the hepatotoxicity of these drugs.

#889 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

Since fullerenes appear to be benecial also to fungus, could it be dangerous for those with suspected gut candida overgrowth (and/or oral thrush) to take it orally? In theory it could not only make candida "hardier" than the rest of the gut flora but also maybe render it more resistant to ergosterol targeting antifungals (nystatin, amphotericin B, azoles)... while at least protecting the liver against the hepatotoxicity of these drugs.

daouda... When I read your posts about the conditions you had or are experiencing, I think this...

Some symptoms are clearly Auto-Immune Disease symptoms. Some sound like Immune System Deficiency Symptoms. I understand a lot more about the Auto-Immune dimension so I can't speak with as much certainty about the 2nd dimension... You need to figure out which are which....

The Baati rat study life span extension result is about "modulating" (aka "suppressing") an overactive Immune System, achieving, with C60/OO, TNF suppression, ROS inhibition, decreased oxidative stress, diminished mitochondridal damage, and global DNA epigenetic change...

So, while Fullerenes may help with the Auto-Immune symptoms you have, it's not clear, to me at least, that they can help you with the Immune System Deficiency symptoms... (i.e., fungus and candida appear to be Immune Deficiency related... at least from my quick search....)

Specifically, take a look at this study...

http://aac.asm.org/c...t/45/1/96.short

Notice that some Immune System Activated Cytokines can address candida and other Cytokines appear unable to address it.

I'm not a doctor and I'm not a scientist. That said, IMHO, what you need is a highly refined strategy for addressing both dimensions of your symptoms... Immune System Deficiency and Immune System Over Expression... Figure it out Cytokine by Cytokine, drug by drug... IMHO, you need non-trivial expertise. If you don't have the research expertise yourself, then you need to find it in someone else...

That said, if I were you, and if I were figuring this out without professional help, here's what I'd do...
  • Make a numbered list of your symptoms.
  • Use google to figure out which symptoms are a result of Immune System Deficiency and which are Auto-Immune.
  • Use google to figure out the appropriate Innate Cytokine and/or drug to either promote or suppress to address the symptom...
  • Post those results in some other thread--so you don't get this one off track--and get feedback so you can take informed action once you've completed those steps...
-----------------

And, BTW, I can tell from your post that you haven't reviewed the Kevin Tracey 2007 Overview study I recommended that you read in that other thread... If you had read it, your note would exhibit more insight about the distinction between Immune System Deficiency and Immune System Overreaction. If you had read it, your note would exhibit knowledge of these nuanced distinctions in the symptoms you're experiencing.

You have serious health issues. They merit serious attention, either from a health science expert or from the pooled expertise here after you've done the basic homework that needs to be done...

:)

Best wishes!

#890 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

If you're basing this on the paper that malbecman just posted, don't worry about it. They used much higher concentrations in those experiments than we're using, but more importantly it's highly unlikely that it's going to make any given microbe super-robust, relative to the normal state. If you really think that you have any particular infection, you could always wait til you get it cleared up before you start a Better Living Through Chemistry project.

#891 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

They used much higher concentrations in those experiments than we're using, but more importantly it's highly unlikely that it's going to make any given microbe super-robust, relative to the normal state.

Are you kidding? These microbes will grow hair. Look a like Stalin.

#892 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

They used much higher concentrations in those experiments than we're using, but more importantly it's highly unlikely that it's going to make any given microbe super-robust, relative to the normal state.

You're probably right. I'm looking forward to looking like Stalin. What if we overdose and end up looking like Kim Jong Il?
  • like x 1

#893 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:26 AM

You're probably right. I'm looking forward to looking like Stalin. What if we overdose and end up looking like Kim Jong Il?

I have a new hypothesis, falsifiable and hard to vary. The importance one places on the hair result is correlated with being male and older in age...

Forgetting the hair dependent variable gives away how young you might be... You gotta be more discrete niner... :)

#894 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I believe it unlikely C60 will double life span for primates and other mammals that do not die primarily of cancer, as do rodents. Most large primates die of other things than cancer, and eliminating it will not produce such a great increase in life span. It is likely there will be some increase, but not as dramatic. Still, an immunization against cancer would be quite spectacular.

#895 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

I believe it unlikely C60 will double life span for primates and other mammals that do not die primarily of cancer, as do rodents. Most large primates die of other things than cancer, and eliminating it will not produce such a great increase in life span. It is likely there will be some increase, but not as dramatic. Still, an immunization against cancer would be quite spectacular.

TNF is implicated in many more diseases that kill us off than just tumors. It plays a profound role in the diseases implicating the 5-Lipoxygenase Inflammatory Pathway. LEF said earlier this year that 5-LO was the trigger for 7 of the top 10 causes of death in the US. A study of aging for the International Space Station implicates 5-Lipoxygenase as being a probable candidate for more rapid aging in space.

Cynthia Kenyon found that no single gene of C. Elegans could explain Extreme Longevity in that worm. So it must be even more complex in humans and certainly not just about any single dimension, gene, biological process, etc.
  • like x 1

#896 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's virtually certain that humans will not see a 90% increase in median lifespan. Interventions that increase the lifespan of very short-lived species, like worms, flies, or small rodents are easy to find. Longer lived species tend to have built-in protection (such as improved antioxidant defenses) against whatever it was that those interventions were helping. Still, assuming the Baati result is real, it is dramatically better than Calorie Restriction, and we currently have a lot of humans doing that. Time will tell as to the results of human CR; even more time will tell as to the results of C60. Meanwhile, humans that make it to the age of 110 inevitably have a high level of systemic amyloidosis that contributes to a lot of mortality & morbidity, so maybe we should start looking for interventions that prevent it. As fate may have it, resveratrol is reported to be an inhibitor of several important types of amyloidosis. Whether or not it occurs at human-relevant dosage I am not aware.

Edit: typo

Edited by niner, 21 June 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#897 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Resveratrol + C60 + . . . + ? = Vescape!
  • like x 1

#898 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Are you reading my mind Max?

A
  • like x 1

#899 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I wont be posting before and after pics on hair stuff.

At this point, i fear folks maybe posting placebo effects. Compared to resveratrol, where i have seen some obvious changes... I don't see any incredible changes from C60 so far.

Well...Ok, strike that... I have had an increase in sex drive, maybe better skin(this one is debatable) and a reduction in stress ...

(For me, the 'discovery' that Jennifer Anniston was really hot in a particular movie, when i prior to C60 (and for years)... I thought she was rediculously plain).

Whatever the case, i am not confident folks are going to have some sort of life changing experience after taking the stuff.

Having said that, lets see what a second batch will do:

Before...
Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1340292407165.jpg   66.94KB   28 downloads

And 24 hours after....
Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1340292454807.jpg   66.36KB   35 downloads

I will leave it running while in Las Vegas, but yes this is turning blood red.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 21 June 2012 - 03:48 PM.

• like x 1

#900 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

A note on co-supplements: Some with livers like mine may need to up their dosage of CoQ10. I went for a 4 mile run a few days ago and the next day had several hours of that weird feeling I got while on Crestor. This was not something that had gone away completely, but occasionally came back. Now it was worse and I realized I was probably always borderline and needed to supplement more than the 100 mg I was taking, especially at this level of aerobic activity. So I upped it to six hundred mg of dry powder magnetically stirred into EVOO, and that did the trick--the feeling went away in less than an hour. CoQ10 had not done much for me while I was taking statins, but I hadn't tried it in olive oil.

Doctor's report: Cholesterol had returned to pre-C60 baseline (but I already knew that from the home tests), and I've lost 7 pounds. No other change.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 21 June 2012 - 04:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buckyball, c60, fullerene, buckyballs

37 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users