Photo

Anyone heard of SEA-QUILL ?

sea-quill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 calm--

• 127 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

There are a lot of supplement from this brand in my country, Indonesia. A lot of people here are taking this. It said made in USA. When I tried searching in google, I don't get many results. When I tried searching in amazon, I don't find anything.

The website : http://www.sea-quill.com/index.php doesn't seem convincing for me. It doesn't have address. It doesn't list ingredients for each of their products.

Note the images below. I never heard of N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine abbreviated as "NAC".

http://s24.postimg.o...14_154201_2.jpg
http://s8.postimg.or...14_154216_2.jpg

Basically I'm a bit concern because a lot of people here taking this brand, including my dad. But the brand isn't convincing.

#2 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

I don't know anything about that company's products, but that website was almost certainly written by someone who is not a native speaker of English. I think you're right to be suspicious. I don't know too much about Indonesia or the supplement industry there... but pretending that your supplements are made where they are not isn't ethical, and I don't know your country's laws, but probably illegal as well. The product may still be fine, but even if it is why support such an unethical company that is obviously willing to lie?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 calm--

• Topic Starter
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thanks chemicalambrosia. The law here is weak. You can bribe your way through almost anything.

But are there factories in US who made this kind of thing, where you ask them to make the supplements for you, and you just put whatever brand you want?

#4 RJ23_1989

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Thanks chemicalambrosia. The law here is weak. You can bribe your way through almost anything.

But are there factories in US who made this kind of thing, where you ask them to make the supplements for you, and you just put whatever brand you want?

Yes. The state of Utah is the epicenter of supplement mfg. in the US. It's Utah's #1 industry. 7.1 billion USD revenue

By the way, most bulk ingredients are actually produced overseas and imported for mfg into whatever forumla the nutrition company is selling. Its best to go with a reputable company that at least assays their ingredients for quality. Jarrow, Natures Way, Swanson, Puritan's Pride, Life Extension are all good choices.

Fyi, NAC is a common term for that ingredient.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

#5 calm--

• Topic Starter
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

These are from the "about us" page :

"Sea-Quill products are manufactured using state-of-the-art facility in Florida and Georgia, USA, which is on the area of 130,000 square feet."

I thought NAC is only used for n-acetyl-cysteine?

#6 RJ23_1989

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Its an interchangeable term:

Acetylcysteine rINN /əˌsɛtəlˈsɪstiːn/, also known as N-acetylcysteine or N-acetyl-L-cysteine(abbreviated NAC), is a pharmaceutical drug andnutritional supplement.

#7 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yes. The state of Utah is the epicenter of supplement mfg. in the US. It's Utah's #1 industry. 7.1 billion USD revenue

By the way, most bulk ingredients are actually produced overseas and imported for mfg into whatever forumla the nutrition company is selling. Its best to go with a reputable company that at least assays their ingredients for quality. Jarrow, Natures Way, Swanson, Puritan's Pride, Life Extension are all good choices.

Fyi, NAC is a common term for that ingredient.

I've never seen this company's products and according to the OP he couldn't find much in a web search. Also, the web site isn't written by a native English speaker. So I think its safe to assume that they sell to Indonesia only... so why would they have an English language web site? Why is there is no address listed on the website or pill bottle? Why does nothing come up when you do a whois search on the website? From their "about us" it certainly makes it seem like they have their own facility that they own and control, not a contract manufacturer that makes the supplements for them. It could be legit, but most likely those supplements are made in Indonesia or China. If I was the OP I would ask for the address of the facility where their supplements are manufactured. If they are legit I don't see why they wouldn't give the address of their facility. It would be easy enough to check if there is a real 130,000 ft facility and who owns and runs it.

Some choice quotes:
"Sea-Quill products are manufactured using state-of-the-art facility in Florida and Georgia, USA, which is on the area of 130,000 square feet. The facility is specially designed to meet pharmaceutical standard."

"Some components are the latest invention on food supplement world and had been patented because they are proven to have more obvious and effective result than similar ones. The usefulness and synergy of combination of various components in one product were tested in multi-center institutes across the world."

"The herbal ingredients used are processes using Technology of Standardized Herbal Extract (TSHE)"

Edited by chemicalambrosia, 22 July 2013 - 01:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#8 calm--

• Topic Starter
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Thanks both of you for the replies. I took another look at Google search results on "sea-quill", and the pages that are related to supplement are only pages in Indonesian language, so it's almost certain this brand is only in Indonesia. Then the testimonials might be fake. Since on average the population are not strong on english, the use of english on the website has no point other than to make it appear as a world class supplement. If it's not written by a native english speaker, it might be an Indonesia's company.

I'm still wondering though if it's actually made in US. One possibility is that it's an Indonesia company who outsource the manufacturing to an US company. If this is the case, at least they are not lying about where it's made. If it's made in US, then I think the quality shouldn't be that bad.

But if it's NOT made in US, if they could lied about this, who knows what kind of stuff they put in their pills.

Asking them directly sounds like an idea. It might give more clues. I'll post if I get anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users